I'll quickly give some general directions for this easy skirt. Sized for a 2 y/o. Skip to next picture to avoid boredom.
Materials: 1/4 yard contrasting fabric
1/2 yard main fabric
1" elastic tape to fit around waist +2 inches.
1 1/2 yards ribbon for underwaist embelishment
approx. 10 yards 4" wide chiffon fabric
* Cut 7" x 27" rectangle of contrasting fabric
* Sew right sides together on 7 inch sides leaving 1 inch open at 3 1/2 inch till 4 1/2 inch. (this is for elastic waistband insertion)
* Fold and press waistband circle in half with wrong sides together. Sew 1 inch down from fold for elastic casing.
* On inside of skirt (where the waistband hole is) gather the first row of chiffon and sew to bottom of inside waistband right sides together. A ruffling foot on your sewing machine is ideal for this step, but basting, gathering the thread, pinning and sewing works well too. I gathered about 3 times the length to the waistband.
* Sew a second 4 inch row to the top one again gathering 3x the bottom ruffle to the straight bottom of the first. (if your waistband is 27", you should use about 81" for the first tier and 243" for the second)
* Make 5 - 2"narrow contrasting belt loops of fabric or ribbon and sew right sides to front of waistband 1.5 " from bottom. Space 4" apart across the back of skirt, and leave open in the center front.Fold down to bottom of waistband and baste in place
* Cut 2 - 7 inch strips of your 45" main fabric. Sew them together and gather them to the front of the waistband right sides together. (Using the ruffling/gathering foot I sewed my final seam after the gathering was finished, but if you don't have a the foot just gather 2.5 - 3 x the amount (80") sew the seams then gather and sew the one large ruffle onto the front of the skirt.
* Finish hem seam with rolled hem foot, or turn up twice in .25 inch increments and sew for hem.
* Draw elastic through waistband casing using safety pin to lead the way. Sew elastic to fit child's waist, then finish off original seam of waistband.
* Draw ribbon through belt loops and tie a bow to side front.
EASY PEASY !!
hedgehog applique on a fun blog the other day and thought it was perfect for this outfit.