Saturday, January 21, 2012

Dress-Up Dress

It is almost our Lena's 4th birthday and she loves to play "dress-up" so I thought I'd make her a cute little non-Disney dress so she can use her imagination as she plays.
It's not that I don't like Disney, or the idea that Princesses always have bad step mothers, or that a Prince type will always rescue you in this life if you are beautiful, or , or,   ....., but, .... well, .....I guess sort of.

I had this old pattern from 1993 that I made a Belle costume for my own daughters out of. (See! I like Disney after all.)
And I had some red flowing organza type fabric and some silver lame' so I got it going without going to the store.
 I also had some cheap trims that I thought would contrast and make it look quite costumey for a little girl.
 Still didn't have to go to the store.
 The sleeves have an inner sleeve to keep the top cap all full when it is being worn. It is smaller and is sewn to the bottom part of the sleeve with the fuller upper sleeve into the same seam. This causes it to puff out over the bottom sleeve.
 I put the lace and sequin trim all around the peplum of the skirt too, just to give it a little kick.
The back of the dress.
 Bottom of the dress.
 And the front.
Cute, huh?
She opened the gift up and immediately put it on. I didn't have a camera, but I'll steal a shot of it off of her mom.
……Here it is. The girl is definitely cuter than the dress.
Pretty good for not going to the store. I told the Hubby it was free.

5 comments:

  1. It turned out so cute! And free? How can you beat that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could call is previously paid for but that ain't free :) it turned out crazy cute! Glad Lena Kate liked it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She loves it and her sister is mighty jealous!!! Thanks for making it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very cute and so girly! Lucky grand!

    ReplyDelete