Monday, August 19, 2013

Independence Day Quilt

 I started this quilt last year a month or so before the 4th of July. I quit working on it after I didn't get it finished, in leu (is that how I should spell it?) lieu (thanks to my niece Megan for helping me be a little more literate) of finishing the next projects on my so called table.

Then this year there was a big wedding in our lives, and life got in the way of getting back to the quilt in time to finish it for the celebration of our Country.

I bought the pattern at a cute quilt store in Livermore, CA and it is by Verna Mosquera at "The Vintage Spool." Called Faded Glory if you want to look at her things.
 The pattern calls for hand stitching all the appliqués on by hand, and I had completed a few of them last year, but I decided I didn't need to take the time and effort to do them this way now.  I used iron-on backing on each individual piece and then machine stitched each design with a blind hem stitch or a satin stitch when I thought it would look best. This quilt is not going to be going through wash even once per year, so it'll hold up just fine with the iron on. There are 12 main designs and I think they are so cute that I'll probably make a few pillows or table runners out of some of the patterns eventually.
 The design above is Uncle Sam's hat with a bouquet of flowers in it. A few of the flowers are just cut outs of fabric flowers in a particular piece of fabric. This method of piecing is called Broderie Perse and is basically just fussy cutting a section of fabric that you want to place onto another fabric for a pretty addition to the quilt. You can see the red/pink flowers above are not pieced with stamens and petals, but  cut all in one already printed flower. Apparently they used to do this with Persian or English chintz fabrics for a specific look.
 The firecracker above had bugle beads hand sewn on for the burst of fire on the end. Very cute, if I do say so.
 Same on this wagon full of firecrackers. The blue and red sparklers are beaded.
Another technique I've used on the quilt is my own idea of using my cool embroidery machine to make a couple of sectioned flowers, cutting them out and then sewing them together. Nice new type of embroidery I've never tried before.
The whole thing turned out very well, even if it is the middle of August.

Better luck on my Thanksgiving quilt?

4 comments:

  1. It's "lieu", in case you're wondering. (from the editor in the family) (and i only inform you because you asked. i wouldn't have said anything otherwise, despite what my mommy may think.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan. You are always welcome to help me out with my writing too.

      Delete
  2. I knew it was wrong, but couldn't come up with another spelling that my spell check would pick up and tell me about. You are so smart. And Thanks - even if your mom may not think so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of work. No wonder it's a work of art!

    =)

    ReplyDelete