Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Good Friends and Birthdays


I am blessed to have some wonderful friendships in my life. I think my girlfriends keep me grounded and well understood as I go through my days and weeks as a mother, wife and daughter of a loving Father in Heaven. 
Some of the things that I do on a weekly basis to share time with these special people in my life are walking/hiking twice each week, knitting every Thursday that I can, bowling on Tuesdays (can you really believe I'm a bowler?), and church on Sundays.
Two weeks ago my knitting group celebrated two birthdays. Jean turned 70 several weeks ago, and Elisa had turned 60 within the month. We went to tea and had some wonderful food and of course great company. My friend Pam was the master organizer and true to fashion she made it a beautiful afternoon. Lois flavored it up with a great outfit fashioned for high tea with the queen. We then topped off the afternoon by spending a little time and money at the cute new yarn store in Campbell. (Green Planet Yarn
I will place a picture here if I can figure out how to get it off my phone.

This past Friday we celebrated my dear friend Debbie's 5oth B-day. Debbie is someone I have been walking with for about 10 years now. We spend an average of 3 hours each week walking, talking, solving and counseling with each other. I met her through my neighbor at the time and we connected so well I don't know what I'd do without her in my life. She brings me joy, understanding, a great example, and true friendship. 
Debbie is a lover of her husband, three children, a fun golden retriever, the Lord, and people. She knows so many people that we meet on the "trail" that we give her grief for it. Growing up in this area and then marrying someone also from here, she makes all kinds of connections with people in the community and they all love her. She is without guile and will do anything righteous for anybody. I am truly a better person because of her.

We had a wonderful luncheon for Debbie at our other great friend Laurie's beautiful home. Overlooking the valley on a beautiful spring morning/afternoon the outdoor patio setting was perfect. 


I provided the invitations, favors, & flowers for the well dressed garden tables. I made the invites in a sage green and they had musical notes and reference because Debbie is such a good musician. I put the greens from my garden (ginger leaves, camellias, and jasmine) with Costco white tulips, pink gerbera daisy's, and yellow rananculas for the table arrangements. It was topped it off with green tulle wrapped candle favors for each place setting.
Laurie also made a fabulous carrot cake (who knew), and was the consumate hostess. She also had some help from a couple other of Debbie's friends with appetizers and salads. 

We all shared ways in which Debbie has touched our lives. I think it was a beautiful afternoon and hope she was able to see how influential she is to all of us.

                                               Debbie (in brown), Laurie, Jill, Cathy

2 comments:

  1. you do love those friends of yours vick! the flowers & invites turned out great & it sounds like the luncheon was a hit! i always like getting leftover party favors, thanks! mine was a ginger citrus candle. i'm excited to try it out! kisses*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great party, Vicki. You're lucky to have a group of friends you enjoy so much. I like the idea of having everyone tell the birthday girl some of the ways she has touched their lives. What a cool day for her!

    ReplyDelete