Winters in Nor Cal call for a light coat/heavy jacket quite often. The little dress I made the other day for Lexy Lou is a bit chilly to wear on its own so I thought I'd make a cheap yet cuddly coat to go with it.
In the 70's I sewed for two reasons.
1. To save money
2. To get long enough clothes for my legs and arms
Sewing in this century is for different reasons. It no longer is cheaper because costs for ready made have decreased so much over the past 30 years. I actually think my kids spend about the same $ for their childrens' clothing as I did for them when they were little 30 years ago. And I made 1980's $.
I could go off on a couple of tangents about this. Namely:
1. They can buy way more stuff for the money and more stuff = too much STUFF
2. Taking care of stuff vs throwing it away blows my mind
3. Kid's appreciation factor goes way down when they can just have everything
4. They are really lucky to be able to buy cute cheap thing for their darling children
I usually don't sew for this particular reason anymore (to save money) because I'm often disappointed that you can find cheaper clothes already made. In this instance though, I think all you can find elsewhere is pink (insert another tangent here), so I opted to sew it for the reason of originality.