My DD found a very cute Anthropology vest and wanted me to duplicate it for her.
I took an old Butterick pattern 3118 that I own for a jacket.
This pattern apparently came out in 1989 and I think I bought it around 1990 for a very cute Christmas suit that I made for myself.
If you read my blog, you may remember I went shopping in the garment district in NYC and it was a very fun experience shopping at Mood Fabrics. I found some medium weight black wool that would make up beautifully.
So I made the vest using this old pattern and making each piece to the waist. Then I made a peplum type thing in all of the front, side and back pieces and attached them to the main body. I self-lined the peplum with the same wool fabric, and lined the main body with a very fun silk black with yellow circles intermixed.
The ruffle down the front is single fabric and ungathered. I cut out two 20 inch diameter circles (which is the length of the seam from the center front to the center back), measured out 5 inches from the outline of the circle for the ruffle including the seam allowances. This created a round 5" wide band that I sewed together at the back seam. I rolled hem finished the edge for finish and then sewed it onto the seam allowance. Cutting it into a round shape gives it extra fabric along the non-seamed side, therefore ruffling it without gathering.